This hillsite home is the fulfilment of a life-long dream for its owners, James and Kara. Built by themselves as their ‘forever home,’ it was a priority to be in keeping with their environmental values and also in tune with their creativity and taste. The 249m² home packs a lot into its spatially efficient design that accommodates an active family and includes multi-purpose open plan living, separate kid’s area, 5 bedrooms, connectedness that flows throughout, and links to outdoor living spaces and productive garden. The self-built home is an ode to classic Kiwi can-do mentality with cost savings achieved freeing them up to invest in other sustainability-minded features.
The house embodies Superhome values with features that create a super-efficient and low-energy, healthy home. Thanks to this energy-efficient design with a Tesla Powerwall, they enjoy a power credit in summer with a power bill costing less than $80 in winter - an especially impressive figure considering it includes charging an electric car and heating the swimming pool.
This home received the Commended Award at the 2023 ADNZ Resene awards for a new home between 150m² and 300m².
• Builder: Co-Creative Carpenters
• Engineer: Kotahi Engineering Studio
• Super-insulated foundation perimeter and floor
• Highly insulated walls with Pro Clima airtightness layer
• Windows: triple glazed uPVC
• Hydronic underfloor heating and MHRV system
• Rainwater and greywater recycling
• Renewable energy: Solar PV and batteries